Pork Laulau

Hey there. So this past week I decided to make some traditional Hawaiian food. I love me some Lau Lau, Lomi Salmon, and Haupia. It really is food for the soul, even though I am not Hawaiian. My origins are on the islands as I was born and raised here. So I made this pork Lau Lau in the slow cooker and I could not get any taro leaves anywhere near me so I used collared greens instead and it turned out so good.

2 lbs Pork Butt
1 1/2 tbsp. Coarse Hawaiian “rock salt”
1 1/2 tbsp. Tamari
2 bunches of collared greens
1 cup of water

1. So, I cut the pork butt into 1 inch cubes, then I rubbed it with rock salt and then Tamari. I prefer to use Tamari rather than regular soy sauce but regular sauce here would be fine.

2. Then, I wrapped it up in the collared greens. I made about 3 wraps.

3. Next, I lined my slow cooker pot with aluminum foil. I put my wrapped pork in and poured in 1 cup of water to steam them. Then, I put another layer of aluminum foil over the wraps to make a suitable tent to steam it. Then I cooked my wrap on Low for 8 hours.

4. All done! This Lau Lau came out so good and was easy to make with only a few ingredients. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Comments