Spaghetti Carbonara

Today I made my favorite pasta. Spaghetti carbonara, cooked in truffle oil + topped with a poached egg. In this recipe I used pecorino instead of Parmesan. I also upgraded my carbonara and added baby Bella mushrooms and thick cuts of pancetta fresh from the deli at Whole Foods. The poached egg was based on a dish I had at Arancino do Mare. A wonderful restaurant in Waikiki that has some of the best Italian Food on the island.

2 tbsp butter
1 container of Baby Bella Mushrooms
1/4 lb. pancetta
2 garlic cloves, minced
16 oz. spaghetti (I used thin but i’ve tried both thin and regular spaghetti noodles for carbonara and either are fine.)
8 egg yolks
1 cup pecorino, grated
2 tbsp. Italian Parsley, chopped

1. Cook your pasta until al dente about 7 minutes. It is important that you cook your pasta al dente. Otherwise you might as well throw it in the trash and BURN IT!! Jk..don’t do that. Al dente is when the noodles are thick but cooked through. If you cook the noodles for too long they will become soft and soggy and this is not what you want.

2. Meanwhile, cook the mushrooms in butter for 3 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft. Set aside and drizzle with truffle oil.

3. Then cook the pancetta, chop up some garlic and cook along with pancetta in some butter. Cook until the pancetta begins to crisp. Set aside.

4. After your pasta is al dente, drain, and throw the noodles back in the pot. Toss with the egg yolks and pecorino. Then throw in your parsley and toss some more. You can add in the mushrooms, and pancetta and the extra juices from the pancetta into your carbonara. I saved some mushrooms and pancetta to garnish the noodles when served.

5. Finally I topped my pasta with a poached egg. Link for: how to poach an egg

Comments